Waxing is an effective hair removal method that many people enjoy. One of the best parts about waxing is that you can do it from home! If you can’t book an esthetician appointment or prefer doing this treatment on yourself, we’re here to assist you. Read the complete guide to waxing and learn about hair removal at home.
What Is Waxing?
Waxing is a hair removal technique that involves placing wax on unwanted hair and then peeling it away. Opposed to shaving, waxing pulls the hair from the root, resulting in less regrowth and smooth skin.
Benefits of Waxing
Many people prefer waxing over other hair removal techniques because:
- Waxing produces slow hair regrowth, but when it does grow, the hair is fine and easy to remove.
- You will not experience cuts and bruises from waxing.
- Waxing will give you smooth and even skin because it removes hair and dead skin cells.
- You will remain stubble free.
- Waxing is quick and easy. You can do it in seconds!
How To Choose the Right Wax for You
The first step toward at-home hair removal is choosing the right wax for you. There are many selections, but you must think about your comfort level and what body part you plan to wax. If you don’t know what wax to choose, check out these common options:
Warm Soft Wax
Warm soft wax is a cream or resin-based wax that you use for strip waxing. You gently warm it and apply it in a thin layer over the skin. Then, press a cloth strip on the area and remove it, lifting the hairs away. This spreadable wax covers large areas like your arms and legs. It’s also efficient at picking up fine hairs because it sticks to the skin well.
Warm Hard Wax
Hard wax is a great option for areas with thick or fine hair. With hard wax, you can place wax beads in a professional wax heater to turn them into a liquid consistency. You apply the wax warm, and it hardens as it cools. This method is also known as the strip-free way because the hardened wax will act as a strip itself. This wax selection is suitable for smaller and sensitive areas like the underarm, lip, and bikini area.
Pre-Made Wax Strips
This is the most user-friendly and mess-free waxing method that’s best for beginners. You place the pre-made strip on your preferred area and then rub it into your skin to “warm” it up. Lastly, you remove the strip for quick and easy hair removal.
Sugar wax is one of the oldest waxing methods that’s still effective. It’s gentle and ideal for sensitive skin. It’s like hard wax as it grabs hair without sticking to the skin. Sugar wax comes as a sticky ball that you can apply with your fingers. You can spread it in large or small areas and effectively remove hair, however, it’s most effective against fine and medium hair types.
How To Prep Your Skin
After selecting your wax, you must prep your skin. Doing so will allow you to remove hair without irritating your skin or causing unnecessary injuries. Check out these essential preparation steps:
- Exfoliate skin. A day or two before you wax, it’s essential to gently exfoliate your skin. Use a brush, mitt, or loofah to remove dead skin that surrounds your hair follicles. This loosens ingrown hairs and improves waxing results.
- Clean skin. Always start a waxing session with clean skin. Wash your skin with mild soap to remove germs, oils, sweat, and other residues. Cleaning decreases the chance of incurring bumps and prevents the wax from sticking.
- Dry skin. Wax can’t stick to wet skin, so it’s important to thoroughly dry your skin after cleaning it.
- Trim your hair. Your hair must be at least a quarter inch long to wax. However, long hair can make the process complicated and painful. If necessary, you can trim your hair first and then apply wax.
Waxing Tips and Techniques
Now that you picked your wax and prepped your skin, it’s time for the actual waxing part. If you’re a beginner, it’s normal to feel nervous or unsure about where to start. Fortunately, we’re here to help you!
- Always test your waxing temperature. If you’re using heated wax, apply a small patch to your outer wrist to gauge the temperature. Determine if it’s tolerable and proceed with waxing your preferred area.
- Apply wax in the direction of hair growth. Regardless of your wax selection, always apply the wax onto your skin that follows your growth pattern. It allows the wax to adhere completely while minimizing discomfort.
- Pull wax off in the opposite direction. When you’re ready to pull the wax off, with one hand slightly pull the strip in the direction of hair growth. Then with the other hand, swiftly pull the strip off in the opposite direction.
- Minimize pain. To ease the pain or sting from removing wax, take a deep breath and exhale as you swiftly remove the strip. With waxing, discomfort and mild pain are common, but it does not last long.
After waxing, you must follow some key aftercare practices. These practices include wearing loose clothing, avoiding hot baths or showers, and not exfoliating the waxed area. Essentially, the key to aftercare is letting your skin rest from harsh products or conditions that can cause irritation, redness, or bumps. Think of freshly waxed skin like baby’s skin. You must be delicate and gentle.
How To Avoid Waxing Injuries
Though waxing is a great hair removal method, it comes with a few precautions. For example, don’t wax if you have a sunburn, open sore, recently had a skin procedure, or use skin peels. This can irritate your skin and lead to waxing-related issues like burns or infections. By correctly prepping your skin and following aftercare techniques, you can avoid injuries. If you’re nervous about waxing specific areas of your body, you can practice on a small sample area until you feel comfortable. Ultimately, waxing at home is based on your comfort level and we want you to successfully complete it.
You can remove stubborn hairs by waxing them away. Many people like this hair removal method because it’s quick, easy, and leaves you with smooth skin. By reading the complete guide to waxing, we hope you understand the process of hair removal at home. If you’re interested in waxing materials, you should browse through our selection of products today!